The Hendricks County Historical museum has a collection of more than 30 vintage wedding dresses. Historic apparel needs special care, and many of the dresses were cleaned and repaired where needed for the annual Afternoon Tea, held in August.

As a special treat for the last quarter of 2018, nine of the collection will be displayed throughout the museum. All are dresses that were worn in weddings in Hendricks County, and most have stories that are interesting either because of who wore them, their fabric or style, or how the wedding was held.

The “Parachute Dress” was made from a German parachute after WWII.

The “Tornado Dress” was ready for an upcoming wedding in Danville when the 1948 tornado ripped through the town without, however, “ripping” the dress. It survived unscathed.

Wearing white on the wedding day was not popular until Queen Victoria wore a white dress for her wedding to Prince Albert. Among the early collection are gowns of blue, brown and even purple.

The museum is open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays or by appointment.

Groups, such as school classes, Scouts and clubs are also welcome to call to schedule a tour at other times.

The Hendricks County Historical Museum is in the house formerly used as the Hendricks County Sheriff’s home with his family. The county jail was in its basement. It is furnished as it would have been in the late 1800s. The museum is at 170 S. Washington St., Danville, just one block south of the courthouse square.

For more information, call 317-718-6158 or visit the website at www.museum@co.hendricks.in.us.